Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just listening to Okkervil River

At 13:15 I am collecting a film producer from a restuarant in Melville and then I am taking him for a drive around Joburg. Why me? because I am a friend of a friend and I have flexible working hours. He is from Kinshasa.

I considered all the things that could go wrong and there are many. First problem is my car. It is old and needs a serious vacum and in the rain the windcreen wipers don't work well. It is raining. It shouldn't be raining as it is winter but non the less. Also my car smells mouldy.

Another factor is when they say drive him around Joburg, they mean Joburg. They want me to take him to Hillbrow, CBD and Troyville. So now I am also worrying about getting hijacked - Citi golf's are high risk vehicles. The solution is to borrow my parents relatively new car, a Honda Jazz which also has a radio, so if there is nothing to talk about I can put the radio on. In my car the radio is currently being installed so at the moment it has all exposed wires sticking out of the dash board looking like either I have to hot wire my car to start it, or someone has just broken into the car.

Then I realised my biggest fear is what happens if I have an accident with him in the car? That would by far be the worst case senario. I considered discussing this with the guy who is hiring me, but it would definatly show a lack in my ability to drive this man around town.

I have planned my route - M1 South around the city, then Joe Slovo offramp and into doornfontein, then through town hopefully lots and lots of traffic that way we waste a lot of time in town. Then through troyville, Cyrildene, and back up Louis Botha ave through Hillbrow and towards Newtown where maybe we can stop for coffee and then over Nelson Mandela bridge and into Braamfontein.

Hopefully we hit rush hour traffic and I can go straight to drop him off at his hotel.
I am getting paid and maybe this will be my big break into the film industry! Not that I see my role as driving the directors and producers around town but rather they become impressed with my vision.

Who is Okkervil River? a very cool band. I was given the cd last week by a very nice guy to add to my playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment